What is the difference between associations that have high retention rates and those that struggle to keep members afloat? There is no single reason why some membership bases are strong while others succumb to churn. However, there is one factor that makes a difference: member engagement.
Your association's member engagement is the interaction between its members and you. It is the feeling of satisfaction members feel when they attend worthwhile events or interact with your social content. This often determines whether your constituents renew their memberships.
There are many ways you can get members involved in your association and keep them engaged. This guide will focus on marketing strategies, as well as how the right tools can help your association track, manage and increase engagement. We'll be focusing on:
- How can effective marketing boost engagement?
- Key Marketing Metrics to Measure Engagement
- Marketing Tools to Boost Member Engagement
Let's first look at the relationship between marketing and engagement. How does this affect member engagement and why is it so important to improve your marketing strategies for membership?
How can effective marketing boost engagement?
Your more visible and complex forms of outreach are the most likely to come to mind when you think about member engagement. These high-investment opportunities are a key part of why members sign up for your membership program.
As the Fonteva guide to member involvement strategies explains, marketing and communications are essential elements of your member engagement strategy.
Your marketing strategies can be used for everything from email marketing to social media marketing. This allows you to build your brand identity and connect with members all year round. It also makes it easy to engage them through the same platforms they use every day.
However, members shouldn't be bombarded with marketing material every day. You need to be more strategic in the messaging and platforms that you use to generate maximum engagement.
Let's look at some key marketing metrics to help you achieve this.
Key Marketing Metrics to Measure Engagement
It doesn't really matter if your membership base is small or large, all members are individuals with unique interests, identities and communication preferences.
A single marketing strategy and communication strategy will not appeal to all members. To really engage your members, adjust your outreach to meet their individual preferences and needs.
Data can help you guide your communications and marketing strategies. You can see if members are engaging in certain marketing channels and if they are being used efficiently by paying attention to the right metrics.
Particularly, make sure you track these marketing metrics.
- Social media marketing: Channel return on investment (ROI), number followers, number of mentions, likes, and tags. Social media comes with many metrics that can be easily viewed for engagement. These metrics will help you understand which types of content and campaigns are receiving positive responses, from your followers to the reactions to different posts.
- Email marketing: click-through rates (CTR), channel ROI, open rates and channel ROI. It is important to maintain a relationship with members via email, but it can be hard to make sure that they are reading and engaging with your messages. You can track open rates, CTR and other metrics to see who and what your supporters are engaging with which email streams and what type of content is doing well. You can use this data to determine the next steps for your email campaigns.
- Event outreach includes registering attendees, promoting registration and obtaining feedback. Your association event's success depends on its marketing. Marketing is an essential part of your association events' success. For example, the way you market your event can impact attendance. It can also affect how attendees feel about their event experience. These insights make it crucial to track key event marketing metrics and survey attendees about their experiences.
- Website of an association: Number of visitors, channels that bring visitors to the site, search terms that lead to site visits. Your association website is one the most important marketing and branding tools you have. Your website is the living representation of your association. It contains everything you need, from landing pages to lead-generating content on your site. You can monitor these metrics to see how members find your association and engage digitally with you.
Once you have all the data you need, you can use it for evaluating the effectiveness of each campaign and marketing channel. You can also segment your data according to members' interests or engagement with marketing materials.
You might focus your email marketing efforts on older members to increase open rates.
Marketing Tools to Boost Member Engagement
Software solutions can help you engage members effectively and streamline your marketing efforts. The following tools are a great resource for tracking, strengthening and managing your association's marketing and engagement strategies.
- Association management platforms. The most powerful tool in your organization's tech stack is association management software (AMS). A strong platform for association management allows you to monitor and control engagement through your marketing channels, as well as manage content distribution. You can automate and personalize emails for different members. The right platform for association management will include event management, financial management and data reporting tools that can be used to simplify the day-to-day tasks of running an organization.
- Software for social media marketing. Social media plays an integral part in how associations market themselves and interact with their members. These platforms offer a variety of multimedia tools and community-building functions to keep members involved. It can be difficult to manage multiple social media accounts. Social media marketing tools are able to help you design and create engaging content, provide consistent materials, monitor your campaigns and engage more with members.
- Software for SEO. Search engine optimization (SEO), software is a powerful tool in your marketing arsenal if you are looking to improve your association's online presence. SEO software can help you track your online content's performance in relation to its rank, authority, and amount of traffic from search engines such as Google. These tools can help you boost your content marketing efforts and make your website more searchable by online users.
These tools can be used to improve your organization's ability to connect with members, cut down on time and cost, and help you create more effective marketing campaigns. These solutions have a lot more value than the initial investment.
Your association team must continue to engage your members. This is a continuous process that will require constant effort. These metrics and best practices will help you to maintain a strong engagement strategy.
These insights, combined with the right software solutions will help you create more engaging, inspiring and personal marketing strategies for your association.
Marketing Insider Group published the post Association Marketing Tools & Metrics to Member Engagement.
By: Guest Author
Title: Association Marketing Tools & Metrics for Member Engagement
Sourced From: marketinginsidergroup.com/content-marketing/association-marketing-tools-metrics-for-member-engagement/
Published Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2022 09:30:52 +0000